By: Cecilia E.L. Mendy
The prosecution on Wednesday closed its case in the attempted murder trial of Yugo Sowe before the High Court in Banjul, presided over by Justice Ebrima Jaiteh.
State Counsel A.G. Bah represented the prosecution, while Counsel F.C. Anyanwu appeared for the accused.
In his final address, Counsel Bah summarized the prosecution’s case and urged the court to find that the evidence presented proved all charges beyond reasonable doubt.
The accused faces five charges, including attempted murder, grievous harm, actual bodily harm, wounding and domestic violence.
The prosecution told the court that evidence showed the accused and the victim had been married for 23 years, during which the relationship was allegedly marked by repeated violence, intimidation and abuse.
Counsel Bah further alleged that the incident occurred on November 16, 2023, when the accused attacked the victim with a machete while she was asleep.
He submitted that the accused entered the victim’s room at night armed with a machete and repeatedly struck her, targeting her head. The prosecution said the victim survived after changing her sleeping position shortly before the attack.
The court also heard that the victim identified the accused during the incident and later in the presence of witnesses.
The prosecution relied on testimony from witnesses, including the couple’s son, who allegedly witnessed the attack, as well as police officers who recovered a bloodstained machete and clothing said to belong to the accused.
Medical reports presented in court indicated that the victim sustained severe injuries and is now confined to a wheelchair.
Counsel Bah argued that the evidence was consistent, credible, and corroborated by witness testimony and exhibits tendered during the trial.
The matter has been adjourned to June 21, 2026, for judgment.
