By: Cecilia E.L. Mendy
The trial of former Jungler member Sanna Manjang, resumed on Tuesday at the court with his defence team challenging credibility and relevance of documents presented by a prosecution witness
During the proceedings before Principal Magistrate Sidi K. Jobarteh, the fourth prosecution witness, Yaya M.S. Darboe appeared for continuation of his cross-examination and told the court he had served in the Gambia Armed Forces for 31 years.
As the proceedings unfolded, defence counsel S.K. Jobe questioned the witness over records he had earlier promised to produce relating to the 2006 coup court martial.
Darboe informed the court that the documents included testimonies linked to himself, his wife and other individuals, including a Nigerian national and medical personnel.
When asked about the source of the documents, the witness admitted that part of the material, including his wife’s testimony dated October 26, 2006, was obtained from Foroyaa newspaper archives and online sources.
The witness further acknowledged that the documents were not original newspaper publications but reproduced versions of reports sourced from archived media materials and Google searches.
Defence counsel argued that the documents lacked evidential value and should not be relied upon in determining the matter.
During cross-examination, Darboe also told the court he could not remember the officer in charge of the ward where he was detained, although he said he later became familiar with some officers through communication while in detention.
Asked to identify the operational commander at the time, the witness said he could not recall.
The case was adjourned to June 12, 2026, for continuation of proceedings.
